Supporting Clinical Care: An Institute in Evidence-Based Practice for Medical Librarians http://www.dartmouth.edu/~biomed/institute2009/
When: Monday, August 3rd, 5:00pm - Thursday, August 6th, noon
Where: Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire (an easy two-hour drive from Boston and many other New England locations; easy access from airports throughout New England).
What: This is an intensive, introductory, 2.5 day course designed for medical librarians by medical librarians. Through large group interactive lectures, small group discussion, and hands-on, case-based learning, you'll acquire skills needed to support and teach evidence-based clinical practice (EBCP). 20 MLA CE credits pending.
Who: The Institute is for medical librarians who want to learn evidence-based medicine concepts in order to comfortably support and teach EBCP at their institutions. Attendance will be limited to 32 participants to maximize individual learning.
Why: After completing this Institute, students will be able to:
* Identify and explain the concepts, issues and process of evidence-based clinical practice.
* Recognize study designs and understand their strengths and limitations.
* Create well-built, answerable clinical questions.
* Use the clinical questions to find the best evidence in the literature about the diagnosis and treatment of disorders.
* Identify and explain the criteria for judging the internal validity of randomized controlled trials (RCTs), systematic reviews, and diagnostic studies.
* Identify roles that librarians can undertake in providing EBCP training and support to health care professionals.
Connie Schardt, Duke University
Karen Odato, Dartmouth College
Pamela Bagley, Dartmouth College
Janene Batten, Yale University
Heather Blunt, Dartmouth College
Jan Glover, Yale University
Jeff Mason, Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region, Canada
Angela Myatt, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
$850 - ALL INCLUSIVE! (fee includes tuition, housing [Monday-Wednesday nights], and all meals [Monday dinner - Thursday lunch])
Monday, March 30, 2009, 12 Noon EDT http://www.dartmouth.edu/~biomed/institute2009/
Please register promptly to avoid disappointment; last year's Institute filled within the first 15 minutes. Enrollment is capped at 32 participants.