Terms of Reference
The committee shall:
- manage the oral history programme of the Canadian Health Libraries Association/Association des bibliothèques de la santé du Canada (CHLA/ABSC) which is devoted to the history of health sciences librarianship in Canada, and especially the history of the Association.
- determine criteria for selection of those to be interviewed.
- draw up documentation to cover the legal and copyright issues involved in creating and preserving records of the interviews conducted.
- select candidates for interview on a regular basis, working through CHLA/ABSC chapters and other interested parties where possible.
- recruit and select interviewers and editors to assist with the work of the committee, working through CHLA/ABSC chapters and other interested parties where possible.
- develop an interview kit of support materials related to interviewing techniques to assist interviewers and ensure a level of continuity in the project.
- facilitate the conducting of interviews with candidates selected and the transcribing, publication and dissemination of transcripts.
- arrange for preservation of tapes and other records of interviews.
- advise the CHLA/ABSC archivist with respect to any special conditions of availability pertaining to any materials related to interviews and transcripts.
- prepare and submit to the Board annual and budget reports at appropriate Board meetings. A progress report may also be submitted at the request of the Board or at the discretion of the committee.
The committee will consist of three members drawn from the CHLA/ABSC membership. Membership term will be two years, renewable at the discretion of the Board; to ensure continuity, terms should not all expire at the same time. Chair of the committee will be drawn from the membership.
The ongoing work of the committee will be conducted largely by email. An annual meeting of the committee may take place in conjunction with the Annual CHLA/ABSC conference.